Saturday, October 18, 2014

US Vogue November 2014: Natalia Vodianova

Continuing to dominate on magazine covers through her comeback year, Natalia Vodianova poses for Annie Leibovitz for her fourth American Vogue cover.




It's official: US 'We Put More Celebrities on our Covers than People' Vogue has finally decided to go back to its roots (-ish) and has had two (2!) covers with models this year.

Gee, 2014 is turning out to be a great year for fashion, isn't it? Fashion houses are changing head designers (Nicholas Ghesquière for Louis Vuitton, John Galliano's announced for Maison Martin Margiela, which I'm really stoked for, ...), all these models are making their comebacks (Gemma Ward, Natalia - even if I didn't know she was on a break, Daphne Groenveld, ...), models are appearing on loads of covers... It's as if the outcry against so many celebrities covering fashion magazines has finally been listened to.

Unfortunately, the mag editors aren't very happy about it and gave us this cover.

I went through a NatV phase when I was younger. I was collecting every picture of her that I could get my hands (or mouse cursor) on. I thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world...and then I saw Lara Stone, who I thought was ugly as f*ck but couldn't stop looking at.

Anyway, my point is, everyone that's seen Natalia knows that she is beautiful. However, if this was your first experience with her, you'd be wondering what the fuss was all about. I personally hate this shade of blonde on her, and she looks blank. Her pose is awkward, as if she didn't know what to do with her arms. And the photo itself is heavy on the reds and yellows. I don't think it's the internet image because the text is proper white.

Have a look at Natalia's previous covers, which are miles better:

September 2004
July 2007

May 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment